Advices on SearchShock.com Removal
SearchShock.com is a browser hijacker that belongs to the same group of computer infections as Qone8 Virus, Qvo6, Aartemis, NationZoom and many other similar applications. Their main goal is to get rich or make their creators rich as they take over users’ computers and redirect them to affiliate commercial websites. It is necessary to remove SearchShock.com from your computer as soon as possible because a browser hijacker cannot be allowed to remain on your computer. Browser hijackers are the first step in a serious computer infection, so you need to make sure that no other dangerous applications enter your PC.
Pretending to be a regular search provider is exactly what SearchShock.com tries to do. Upon the installation, this browser hijacker changes your default homepage and search provider settings. Some users are not baffled by it because SearchShock.com’s homepage looks sophisticated, and it provides shortcuts to Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo!, MSN and other popular domains. However, you should never perform a web search via SearchShock.com because the browser hijacker tracks all of your web browsing sessions.
SearchShock.com needs to track you so that the application would “know” what you like and what your preferences are. You must have noticed that there is a flash ad underneath the search box at the hijacker’s homepage. Your web browsing habit data allows SearchShock.com to “fill up” that ad with relevant content. It is more annoying that dangerous, because extensive commercial ads slow down your browser and does not allow you to access all the search results you want. However, browser hijackers are also dangerous, in a way that they could be exploited by malevolent third parties to promote corrupted content.
The best way to protect your PC from the likes of SearchShock.com is to avoid the installation. For that, you need to stay away from unfamiliar websites. Do not download freeware apps if you are not sure where they are coming from. Bundled freeware downloads are the main distribution method for SearchShock.com, and it also means that users install this browser hijacker onto their computers themselves!
How to delete SearchShock.com?
Please follow the manual removal instructions below to uninstall SearchShock.com from your computer. Once manual removal is complete, you should scan your system with a licensed antispyware application that would help you detect remaining leftover files (if any) and delete from your PC for good. Do not hesitate to invest in a powerful malware detection and removal tool if need be.
How to restore browser’s Target shortcut
1. Right-click on your browser’s shortcut (it may also be pinned on your task-bar).
2. When a menu appears, click Properties.
3. Go to Shortcut tab and locate Target line.
4. Delete everything that is outside of quotation marks “ “.
5. Press OK to save changes.
Terminate SearchShock.com from browsers
1. Press Alt+T and select Internet options.
2. Go to Advanced tab and click Reset.
3. Select Delete personal settings and press Reset.
4. Click Close.
1. Press Alt+H and go to Troubleshooting information.
2. Click Reset Firefox on a new tab.
3. Click Reset Firefox on a pop-up box. Press Finish.
1. Press Alt+F and click Settings.
2. Scroll down to the bottom and click Show Advanced settings.
3. Scroll down and press Reset browser settings button.
4. Click Reset on a pop-up box.
Remove potentially unwanted programs
1. Move mouse cursor to the bottom right of the screen.
2. Press Settings on Charm bar and select Control panel.
3. Open Uninstall a program and remove unwanted applications.
Windows Vista & Windows 7
1. Press Start menu button and click Control panel.
2. Go to Uninstall a program and remove potentially dangerous apps.
1. Open Start menu and navigate to Control Panel.
2. Select Add or remove programs and uninstall unwanted apps.
This site provides reliable information about the latest computer security threats including spyware, adware, browser hijackers, Trojans and other malicious software. We do NOT host or promote any malware (malicious software). We just want to draw your attention to the latest viruses, infections and other malware-related issues. The mission of this blog is to inform people about already existing and newly discovered security threats and to provide assistance in resolving computer problems caused by malware.